Monday, September 06, 2010

The Pinnacle Road Mile


A month or so ago, I asked Airon and Soren if they would like to run the Pinnacle Road Mile in Clovis. Both boys jumped on the idea.

Soren had never run a full mile before so we ran it a few times over the month to get him used to the distance. Airon was familiar with the distance since he had run it several times in order to prepare for a fitness test at school.

We arrived bright and early to pick up our packets and our groovy new participation t-shirts which we opted to wear during the race. There were approximately 80 runners there. In the blink of an eye, we were crossing the start line...and then the finish.

Airon completed the mile in 7:57. He beat his previous personal record by 1 minute. Soren and I (and green anole!) ran together and crossed the finish line in 8:54 which was nearly 2 minutes faster than Soren had ever run the mile before. I placed 2nd out of 2 in my age division and took home a $30 gift certificate from REI that I felt like I was stealing from someone much more deserving. I shall certainly find something to spend it on though.

The event was primarily a bike race. We stuck around to watch the first heat of the bike race. It was so exciting! Since they were on a 3/4-mile loop, they passed us about 30 times allowing prime viewing of position changes, turns, and how a group of very fast bike racers maneuvers in a small space. I asked the boys if they would like to do it again next year. I received one answer of "Yes" and one, "I'll think about it."

(If you click on the link above, it will take you to the Pinnacle Road Mile website. On the top bar, you can click on race photos to see our pictures. We are on pages 2 and 4.)

3 comments:

RRM said...

Way to go! Great job and sounds like a whole lot of fun.

MalinoisMama said...

Super cool! They will be running marathons before you know you it. I love that Green Anole experienced it with you. Too funny!

Shiksa said...

Thanks! :) Ruk, I'm not sure about the marathons. Airon said to me, "You run 26 of these?!?" And yes, green anole goes everywhere with us still. He's had some great adventures.