Friday, September 11, 2009

Serendipity Friday

Today was such an interesting day. On Tuesday, I decided last minute (as I often do) that I would put items in a giant consignment sale held twice yearly in Visalia. Of course the deadline was today, and I needed to drop off sometime today between 10:00 A.M. and 7:00 P.M.

I spent the last few days sorting, washing, and getting things ready. The main reason I wanted to put my items in the sale was to sell my very nice double jogging stroller so I could buy a single one in the same brand instead. I have a really high quality double, but now that I only have one rider, I have been wanting to downsize.

The first nice thing that happened was that I called my friend to see if all four kids could play at her house so I could do the drop-off alone. The kids weren't interested in going with me at all. She was very happy to host them. As I was leaving her house she said, "Take your time. Go to Starbucks for coffee." I thought I might just do that. My next stop was the post office. In my P.O. box was a hand-written letter from the woman who works at the garage where I get my van serviced. In the letter she wrote how much she has enjoyed getting to know us, and how precious she thinks the kids are. She said she thought Andy and I were doing such a good job as parents. In the letter she included a gift card to Starbucks! Wow...

I was still enjoying that nice gesture when I arrived at the JBF consignment drop-off site. I rolled the stroller over with all my hanging items and got in line. I was chatting with the woman behind me and when I looked forward, I realized that the woman directly in front of me was a woman who lives in my neighborhood. I said, "howdy neighbor." She looked at me blankly until I explained to her that lived in the neighborhood and that I had even used her pool to give swimming lessons. That finally sparked some recognition. She had come with her daughter. Her daughter saw my stroller, and said, "Oh a BOB double stroller! I've been looking for one of these." I told her that if she was really interested, she could buy it from me, and I wouldn't put it in the sale. It was then that she said, "I just have a single, and now I need a double with the two kids." I perked up. A single jogger? I asked her what brand it was, and it was a BOB brand single jogger. I was floored. I asked her if she'd like to make some sort of deal. So, we agreed to call each other and see if a trade would work for both of us. Amazing. I may get my single if all works out. She will get a double. All of this taking place in my very own neighborhood yet arranged by a chance encounter in Visalia. Crazy!

The rest of the day was incredibly lazy. I went for a run by myself and with Andy, and we all vegged out in front of the TV for movie time. There is no violin this weekend so we should get to just hang out. I have six miles to cover tomorrow, and 20 on Sunday. I'm ready.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I think the stars were aligned for you...

Heather said...

But, did you go to Starbucks?

What a great story!