Friday, March 07, 2008

March Food Blog-A-Long: Week 1

This is a very challenging project for me. Most people who know me at all know that I have a contempt (bordering on loathing) for all things cooking-related. It's something I'm working on, but well... I've been working on it for a few years now, and the progress has been excruciatingly slow.

I chose quiche mainly because I had four dozen eggs in the fridge. (Proper grocery shopping isn't one of my gifts either.) All of the kids eat it, even the picky one. He just has to tell me how much he hates it before he eats it anyway. He feels more like he's doing me a favor if he can at least tell me how he feels about the whole thing.

So here is my recipe with some pictures. It's just a slapped together thing so all you foodies out there can start gasping in horror right now.


  • 6 eggs



  • Some broccoli



  • 1/2 onion chopped



  • grated cheese



  • salt and pepper to taste



  • any spice such as oregano, basil, or sage (my personal favorite)



  • Pie crust. I'm not ready to give away my secret recipe for this yet, but I'll give a hint: It starts with "Pills" and ends in "bury".

Saute the onion and broccoli in a pan with olive oil for about 5 minutes.



In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, a cup or more of grated cheese, and spices to taste. Add the onions and broccoli to the egg mixture and pour into the unbaked crust.

Bake according to the directions on the secret pie crust box. I baked at 450 degrees for 35-45 minutes. I put foil around the edges of the crust to keep it from burning.


Serve this delicious meal with salad. My recipe for salad includes opening a bag and slicing a tomato. Serve it in the bowl you intend to store the leftovers in, and you will not need to dirty another dish. Brilliant! Oops! I overcooked this a bit. Maybe turning down the oven to 400 degrees would be a better idea.


No comments: