Monday, July 06, 2009

Cluck..ahem..CLUCK..sQuAwK..ahem..Cock-a-doodle-doo!!

That is what we heard this week. I laughed so hard, I had to run and get the kids so they could hear it. They, in turn, got so excited they parked themselves by the coop for a bit trying to coax the sound out of him again. So it seems at least one of the chickens has hit puberty, and not in a way we were hoping! And it gets a wee bit worse. I think we have three roosters based on comparing the looks of our rooster with the others. I'm sure we have at least two. Every time I look at them, I think of that man at the feed store flipping them over, giving their backsides a cursory look, and putting them in the box with a small smile on his face. It makes me laugh. Figuring out the sex of chickens is still really a 50/50 game.

I'm currently trying to think of an exit strategy for roosters. The kids would like to keep them all. I'm picturing myself wearing full body armor to feed, water, and clean their coop. At the very least, I may need to wield a broom. Since we've had so much "luck" with nature thinning our flock, I may turn to nature once more to help me out of this jam.

In this photo, you'll see the rooster(s). The middle black one, standing up and looking like he owns the place, is the one we know for sure is a rooster. The black one cowering beside it, is the other suspect. On the left, there is a red chicken directly behind the red and brown chicken in the front. He/She is also suspect at this time.

No comments: