Friday, March 27, 2009

Hello Poppies!

The boys left today for their fishing "mancation" in Oregon. They're in search of chinook salmon with Big Al (Grandpa) and Uncle Tom. This year Soren got to go for the first time. He was so excited. I drove them to the airport this morning. Their backpacks brimming with books and sudoku, they posed for one picture, and that was all. I sent them off neat and clean. They will not return that way. A mancation doesn't involve daily showers, and I hear clean socks may even be optional.
I ran errands in town including a mega trip to Lowes...again. I picked up tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and one strawberry plant just for a scientific experiment. I hope to see if what it's yield is compared to the varieties in our strawberry patch. I also picked up the last of the fence posts and an outdoor light fixture.

On the way home, since I was alone, I finally got to stop and take some photos of the poppies. This time of year, the fields of poppies can be seen high on the foothills by the vivid orange color: It was quite windy and very sunny. The combination was not ideal for close-up photos. I am hoping that I will be able to take a few more minutes for another session later. I think this one is my favorite. This last one includes a little white flower called popcorn. I wrapped up the day by mowing the unkempt garden area, and tidying up the strawberry patch. We have blooms which is very exciting. I can almost taste the strawberries. I'm trying to keep my excitement in check in case the whole crop ends up destroyed by beast, plague, floods, or some other such unpredictable force. It's hard not to imagine a bowl of red strawberries though.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, I love your favorite one, too. Beautiful colors! I've really not done well this year about taking pictures of spring blooms. So many are already done.