Saturday, February 13, 2010

I'm Sticking With the FIRST Program

I was having second thoughts about the FIRST training program. I was really shaken when I hurt my hip (which is nearly 100% better). I don't think I can even adequately express enough how much being able to run and bike and be an active person means to me. At this point in my life, there's no way I'll go to the Olympics, or win an event, or become known for my athletic pursuits in any way, and yet it is still important to me. It's a piece of me, and there would be a big hole in my life if it was gone.

Andy and I had a conversation the other day where I was telling him that I had to bike on Thursday so I could run on Friday, and take Saturday off. He turned to me and said, "You don't have to do anything. He was right. I don't have to do this. I want to do this. I'm not sure when this hobby turned into full-fledged dream of running the Boston Marathon, but sometime along the way it did. Now, I'm committed in my mind, and working towards that goal. I don't think I can qualify this year, but qualifying in 2011 is a real possibility if my current progress continues.

The FIRST program is really challenging. Of the three prescribed runs per week, I found myself dreading two of them. That left me wondering why in the world I was even continuing to follow the plan or if I even wanted to train to get to Boston one day. During my track intervals last week, my inner voice (that I had been ignoring previously!) spoke loud and clear: Do you really want go to Boston? If you do, this is going to be hard, but you ARE going to get stronger. I realized that pretty much every time I want to give up in life, my inner voice speaks up and gives me a pep talk. Do I want to go to Boston? Yes! Am I willing to work hard? Yes! Can I do it without sacrificing my health or family? Yes!

So far, as an adult, my inner voice has led to good choices. I'm trusting it. I'm going for it. It's going to be hard, but I AM going to get stronger, and I'm sticking with the FIRST program.

No comments: