Wednesday, February 17, 2010

PotatO, PotAto

Over the weekend we planted some potatoes in the garden. I have never planted potatoes before, but I don't lack confidence when it comes to sticking seeds or plants in the ground, and then walking away with the hope that something magical will happen. Andy and I had a conversation that went something like this:

Andy: How far apart do I plant these?

Me: (turning the directions 'round and 'round in my hands like I'm reading a map, and I am very lost.) Uh... 12 inches apart, with the rows 26" wide.

Andy: Why can the plants be only 12 inches apart, but the rows must be 26" wide?

Me: (very dramatic) I don't know. I just follow the directions.

We began planting, and discovered that we had about 30 seed potatoes. I soon began planting them much closer together because I was tired of planting potatoes, and I knew very well that our family wouldn't possibly eat them all if they actually turned into more potatoes. The process became: dig the ground, throw in a whole seed potato, cover with dirt and straw, over and over and over.

Andy: You aren't planting them 12 inches apart anymore.

Me: (dismissively) It's ok. It will work.

Andy: (kindly) You really don't know what you're doing do you?

Me: Um...no.

So, after we finished, I came back up to the house to make my Sunday call to my parents, who live in Missouri. Feeling pretty smug about our day full of garden work, I told them that we planted potatoes. As I was describing the process we followed, my mother asked a very polite question, "Did you cut the potatoes into pieces?"

Say what? Pieces? I fumbled through a response that included that we did not cut the potatoes. Were we supposed to do that? Is that what turns them into more potatoes eventually?

My mother, ever diplomatic, and perhaps still a bit gun-shy about giving me advice based on my reactions as a teenager said:

"Oh..uh..oh. It will work. I'm sure it will be fine." (Her words were cheerful, and I could almost see her sunny expression through the phone lines.)

She got me thinking though. How well did I read the directions? I don't know. I just follow directions. That's what I said right? Turns out, I really didn't do that. Sure enough, the directions plainly said to cut them in pieces with one eye per hole.

The good news is that Andy and I are perfectly able to laugh at ourselves and our mistakes--which we did. It was followed by Andy telling me that he had no plans to go back to the garden and fix it. What a funny funny man. I laughed while feeling lucky that the people in my life put up with me and all my faults. I come with plenty of them, and being overly confident is nearly at the top of the list.

2 comments:

Norm Deplume said...

If it helps, I threw a couple of old (whole) potatoes out into the compost pile last spring, and they grew into lovely potato plants. So I'm guessing you'll be okay.

I am planning on planting potatoes this year too, but there's still 6 weeks before it gets warm enough to plant anything here. **weeps**

Shiksa said...

I'm crossing my fingers Robin. Spring does always sneak up on me here. It seems like one day it is too cold and damp to plant, and the next day it's sunny and time to get moving.