Thursday, February 25, 2010

Open Mouth, Insert Foot.

I had planned to write about the kids skiing trip today, but when I sat down at my computer I discovered that another post needed to be written. In January, I wrote a post about finishing organizing the kitchen and moving onto the bedroom which Regina Leeds encouraged us to turn into a sanctuary. I don't even want to reference it so you can go back and read it because I am ashamed of myself.

In an effort to be silly, I made some pretty snide comments about what I thought about the idea that my bedroom could or even should be, a sanctuary. During that time, I made a comment about Regina Leeds not understanding what it is like to share space.

A couple of days later, I realized how mean it sounded, but I let it stand with the intention of posting at a later date to eat my words and recap February's project. I also thought that since the two primary readers of this blog are my mother and my mother-in-law, they might see through my rudeness and still love me anyway. So far, so good.

It had been nagging at me off-and-on for days, and it came around again today: Regina Leeds (THE Regina Leeds!) left a generous and thoughtful comment on the space bags post.

I should have been giddy. Instead I was just embarrassed that I said something, simply trying to be funny, that could be hurtful to another very real person out in the world. The truth is that in her book One Year To An Organized Life, Regina is nothing but open-minded when it comes to making this process work while operating within a family. Her examples in the book represent this over and over.

I'm sure that she also expects her readers to take from her books only what will be helpful to their lives and to discard the rest. So Regina Leeds, (can I call you Regina?) I owe you an apology, and a very big thank you for book, the motivation to do this project, and for reading my blog post. Now I actually do feel a little giddy...

4 comments:

Maureen said...

And your MIL still loves you!!!
You're the best!
xoxo

Shiksa said...

Thanks Maureen! That means a lot to me.

Regina Leeds said...

How very sweet you are!

May you be blessed always.

I'm always here if you have a question about the material.

And, yes, please do call me Regina!

Regina
:>)

Shiksa said...

Thank you Regina for accepting my apology so graciously. I had hoped that my "character-building" lessons were learned already, but it seems that it will always be a work in progress. :) I appreciate your offer to answer questions. I will most-likely have some.
-Stacy