Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Up to My Old Tricks

It started small. I didn't unload the dishwasher one night before bed. Then, I didn't unload it before bed for a week. Next, I stopped sweeping the kitchen floor, and folding laundry. Then, I stopped even looking at the Motivated Moms list because I knew I had blown it off for two weeks, and I didn't want to see everything I had left undone. The I'll do it later phrase controlled me during the month of March.

On Monday, I looked around the house, saw the disaster it was, and promptly got in a funk for two days. I really do function much better with order and cleanliness. I am of ashamed of how quickly I give up in the face of adversity. Once I'll do it later enters the picture, I'm more than willing to let the house explode. Then, I get completely overwhelmed by housework and cooking, which leads to anxiety, which eventually leads to giving up. I always wonder if my need for tidiness makes my mother laugh since I was a complete slob as a child. I've decided it is a byproduct of living in a small space with six people. We spend a lot of time at home. I enjoy it more when it is in order, and I think the kids function better that way too.

Yesterday, I finally got started on the desk project thinking it would be a breeze. It was not. Hidden in several drawers were stacks of files, paperwork, and memorabilia that have no place to go yet, and need to be sorted through. Not all of it belongs to me. I ended up stuffing it in a grocery sack as a weekend project. That was a final straw. I realized that I'd left a huge project for the last two days of the month, and in addition, I was losing much of the progress that I'd made over the last two months.

Today, I got up determined to get back on course. I knocked out most of the Motivated Moms list for the week. I completed some little, but important tasks like updating the calendar, returning library books, and buying furnace filters. I also realized that the house wasn't really too bad. There were many things out of place, but it was fairly easy to put it all back.

Tonight's project is to make menus and the shopping list for two weeks. Tomorrow, the kids and I are going geocaching and grocery shopping. I will get a handle on cooking if it's the last thing I do!

Bring it on April. I'm back in the groove.

3 comments:

Mars said...

When I get like that I make a list and split it with dd. Not a 50/50 split, she's still too young, but an age appropriate split. We give each other high fives as we accomplish tasks and bust through the mess. It helps having a partner. :hugs: I'm glad you've found your motivation again. Keep it up!

Norm Deplume said...

Yorg. This is totally my life. Although I have neer totally gotten on track in the first place. If I manage to get one area of the house good and tidy for any length of time, I'm usually ignoring another part(s). It's like squeezing a balloon-- you think you've got it all hidden inside your fist, then you turn your hand around and there's an air bubble poking out, stretched to its limits, ready to burst. O.o

Shiksa said...

Mars - That is a great idea. I do have some pretty great helpers. I find I struggle to delegate when I'm overwhelmed too. Thanks for the encouragement.

Norm - The balloon is the perfect visual. You have such a way with words.