Thursday, February 05, 2009

A Day At School

Today, there were no morning classes at school so the educational coordinators could have parent meetings. We go on Tuesdays and Thursdays and spend alllllll day there. The first five years that I drove the kids there and spent all day were pretty fun. I got to know all the families. I looked at nearly every book in the library. I did my grocery shopping. I even knitted up a storm one year. Last year it wasn't quite as fun. This year is our 7th year. I still love the moms and kids. I still love the school and the fact that my kids thrive there. I'm just a little tired of the same-old same-old I suppose. It's a full day of just waiting around and pushing this swing which I've done a few thousand times at least (Just look at how she loves it though!).


Today, we got a bit of a break. A few of the moms (I was not one of them) organized "Gold Rush" days during the time that would typically be filled with enrichment classes. The kids took a hike around the school property and learned the historical significance of the property during the time of the California Gold Rush. They panned for gold, cashed in the gold at the bank, and then went to the General Store to buy some provisions. After all that hard work, they headed to the picnic tables for some grub.

I think we all expected that the younger kids would have fun. However, what was surprising was how much fun the older kids had. It was a blast watching them let their crunchy pre-teen outer layers crack a bit and simply enjoy being kids doing something fun. I did take lots of pictures, but since the pictures of the boys all have other kids in them, I don't feel like I should post them without permission. I'll leave you with this last cute shot of Maya, my funny face girl.

No comments: