Friday, January 08, 2010

Moving into the New Year - Part II

Hopefully, the fact that I have to expand my goals into two posts doesn't make them too lofty.

As usual, the educational goals for the kids are pretty loose. There are skills I want them to improve, and those that I'd like for them to continue. We are currently working on topics for the science and engineering fair in March. So far, all three are more interested in the Showing Science strand vs. the Doing Science strand. Both are valid options, but the Showing Science allows them to take a creative approach to the project vs. using the scientific method. Airon wants to study Asteroids and Space, and create a presentation. Spencer is considering volcanoes. Soren is not sure at this point. He is not sure he wants to participate at all.

I suppose if I had to make a bullet list of specific goals it would look like this:

1. Improve writing, specifically improving punctuation and sentence structure.
2. Increase narration and verbal summary skills
3. Compare and Contrast literature
4. Read aloud or provide on CD books that the boys wouldn't choose themselves, but would enjoy.
5. Start music lessons for Spencer. I need to find a piano.
6. Play together more
7. Include more history in their schoolwork.

I am very pleased with all of their progress in math. All are ahead of grade level. I have no concerns for any of them, so we will continue on with what we are doing. I am grateful for the flexibility allowed by homeschooling.

My running goal for the year is that elusive sub-4-hour marathon I've been chasing. I can see it in my sights, and really feel like this year will be my year. My running goal, overall though, is simply increased fitness. I'm trying something a bit radical this year, and going with a new training program for the June 6, Rock-N-Roll San Diego marathon training period. I am following the Runner's World FIRST program. It is three key running workouts per week plus 2-3 cross-training workouts per week. It's a real departure from the most popular "run more, improve more" philosophies, but I'm looking to be a better athlete, not just a faster runner. In addition, I'm not going to be qualifying for the Olympics any time...ever, so I am determined to enjoy this time, and try new programs.

I've got two marathons planned this year, so if this program doesn't work for San Diego, I can switch to a different program for the Fresno in November. I will have time to adjust while reducing the possibility of injury.

Now that these goals have been completed, I will resume my regular blogging of cute anecdotes, and pictures of the kiddos. Thanks for bearing with me as I slogged through my plans.

No comments: