Thursday, January 07, 2010

Moving Into the New Year

All four of you who read my blog probably come here mostly for the pictures of your grandchildren. Sorry, you'll just have to put up with chit chat today.

A new year brings a new set of goals. I'm not one to make lofty and unattainable resolutions, but I like a fresh start as much as the next person. So, I tend to start new things at a time when it seems like the deep cracks of change won't be noticed so much. Enter the new year...

Last year was a blur of stacking wood, digging fresh ground, putting up fence, laying irrigation line, and planting fruit trees and berries. Fortunately, most of that infrastructure was completed so we will not be stuck doing that much tome-consuming work again. Sadly, most of our berries didn't make it through the very hot summer. We also lost our cherry trees. I will not be replacing the berry bushes or the cherry trees. I would like to purchase three more apricot trees for increased cross-pollination, and perhaps one more apple.

The garden went fairly well last year considering we were complete novices. We had ongoing issues with irrigation due to the high water pressure from our well pump. That will have to be reviewed this year to see what alternate connection solution we can create.

Inside the house I am working through the book One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds in conjunction with the Motivated Moms cleaning schedule. I'm no stranger to either the book or the cleaning schedule. I got the book for my birthday last August and immediately read it cover-to-cover. Since it is set up month-by-month starting in January, I had the perfect reason to blow it off for five months. Who starts a book in the middle?!?

I am also a Motivated Moms drop-out for three years in a row. Even though I have never completed a year with this system, I have taken valuable lessons away during the time that I participated. I believe that if I learned something, it was not a total waste. I'm on day 7 of this whole project, and I've completed every task thus far. So, I figure I've got this whole year in the bag already. Hmmmm...

I will have to continue tomorrow with the education and fitness goals for 2010. It's time for breakfast and all the household chores I'm going to be farming out to the kids.

No comments: